Max leads McKinsey’s work for the banking sector in Germany and coleads our European fintech service. He has supported clients in building multiple businesses. In his M&A role, Max has supported companies in more than 40 integrations around the world, particularly in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. He focuses on deals involving financial institutions from start to finish, from M&A strategy, target identification, and due diligence to integration design, planning, and execution.
Examples of Max’s recent client work include the following:
- defining a future-proof strategy for a leading universal bank in Europe
- building a new retail bank from scratch in less than 12 months
- delivering synergies worth more than €1 billion in a multiyear integration of two European banks
- merging a European bank’s shared-service units—including a carve-out and legal-entity merger—to create one integrated holding
- guiding a complex, three-way merger of universal banks in the United Arab Emirates
- conducting numerous buyer due-diligence reviews, including on a European payment provider, a consumer-finance niche company in Germany, and a Western European retail bank
- developing a regional operating model for a global insurance company across multiple countries
Max writes extensively on M&A, banking, and fintech trends and leads research projects on European banking. He speaks regularly at conferences in the banking and fintech communities.