Nils is a partner in the firm’s Zurich office and one of the leaders of our Life Sciences Practice in Europe. Since joining McKinsey in 2009, he has worked extensively in biopharmaceutical, medical technologies, and medical aesthetics in the United States and Europe across different functions. He leads the firm’s commercial life-sciences efforts.
Nils has advised leading institutions on a wide range of topics ranging from portfolio strategies and business development to innovation and commercial transformations.
His recent client projects include the following:
- supporting an oncology and specialty group in transforming its operating model toward digital- and analytics-enabled customer engagement
- supporting a rare-disease specialist company with key account management and patient finding
- advising several biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies on portfolio and inorganic growth strategies
- working on several post-merger commercial integrations for large pharmaceutical and medical device companies
- helping a major pharmaceutical company with its corporate-level digital and analytics strategy
- counseling life-sciences companies on the development of digital and value-added services strategies and offerings
- supporting a US biotechnology company in building its footprint and launching its technology the first time out of the United States
- supporting a biotech in using real-world data analytics both pre- and post-launch
- supporting a midcap biopharmaceutical company in accelerating a biologics trial through development and submission excellence
- supporting multiple midcap life-sciences companies in transforming businesses, achieving significant cost improvements in the cost of goods sold, and selling, general, and administrative expenses (SG&A), as well as reimagining its approach to customers
- setting up new operating models—enterprise as well as commercial-medical-access innovation—for rare diseases and specialty pharmaceutical groups
- supporting several medical aesthetics companies, such as injectables and devices, around innovation and go to market
Nils holds a doctorate in strategic, supply-chain, and innovation management, and a master’s degree in strategic management, finance, and operations from the University of Karlsruhe. Before joining McKinsey, he spent four years as a postdoctoral-research fellow working on innovation and sustainability strategies in consumer-goods, chemicals, and pharmaceutical companies.