Alexander leads McKinsey’s Consumer Packaged Goods and Retail Practices in Switzerland, and coleads our luxury and sporting-goods work globally.
In highly competitive consumer-facing industries, Alexander helps leaders set new commercial strategies so they can find sustainable sources of business growth. When organizations must evolve to support the new strategy, he helps lead broad-based organizational transformations. This work often draws on a zero-based approach to assess and redesign category and brand management, business models, and operating models, building the core elements of the new model from scratch—a methodology Alexander helped pioneer.
Alexander leads numerous McKinsey research efforts on evolving consumer behavior and applying cutting-edge, design-thinking methodology.
Some of his work includes the following:
- advising a leading global retailer on the establishment of a global data and analytics unit and the development and implementation of next-level assortment, pricing, promotion, and category management
- helping a luxury-goods conglomerate define and act on an ambitious growth strategy focused on identifying granular growth opportunities at a city level, reviving brands, and implementing tailored route-to-market strategies
- serving a leading luxury-goods company on a digital transformation of its front-line and back-office processes to build a more connected, collaborative, and automated operating model
- supporting a global sports retailer in developing a new regional category strategy to create a more structured and consumer-centric assortment and pricing approach with specific emphasis to succeed in China and in the United States
- working with a global food and beverages company to shift the portfolio toward future growth
- supporting a global consumer and animal-health champion in developing and implementing new ecosystem business models
Alexander’s work has taken him across Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States, including time spent in the firm’s Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore offices. Before joining McKinsey, Alexander worked in investment banking in New York and as an entrepreneur at a consumer healthcare start-up in Silicon Valley.
Alexander earned an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a BA from the University of St. Gallen.