In addition to his client work, Humayun is the global co-leader of McKinsey’s Global Energy & Materials and Electric Power & Natural Gas practices. He is also a leader in the clean tech area of our Sustainability Practice.
Humayun has coauthored a number of publications, including the ‘McKinsey on Smart Grid’ publication as well as McKinsey's recently completed work on energy efficiency, and clean technologies. He has also authored external articles and reports, including in energy and power and with the American Physical Society.
Humayun is a regular panelist and participant in key industry events, including Gridweek, Harvard Electricity Policy Group, GridCom, and senior industry roundtables.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- serving a large US multi-utility company on transforming its performance across shared services, generation, distribution, and customer operations
- developing an integrated demand management, energy efficiency, and renewables strategy for one of the largest utilities globally, addressing opportunity assessment and creating a regulatory approach for each state
- supporting a comprehensive transformation of T&D operations and customer experience for one of the largest global utilities
- designing a market entry strategy for a several new technology products—including grid balancing, demand management, and distribution automation—for a large Asian technology conglomerate
- creating an Asian and North American go-to-market strategy for new suite of distributed generation and grid integration technologies for a large European technology company
Prior to joining McKinsey, Humayun worked for Deloitte Emerging Markets and was an energy consultant at the World Bank.