Steven is a leader of our culture and change work and part of McKinsey’s People & Organizational Performance Practice. With deep expertise in improving company performance by increasing organizational agility, he advises executives on a range of strategic and change-management issues.
Working broadly in the public and private sectors, Steven is focused on setting up organizations to deliver positive results and sustain scalable change. His expertise is particularly applicable to technology companies looking to set up agile organizations that can succeed during times of accelerated growth. Steven also has significant experience advising on defining strategy and directing change management initiatives.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- setting up a biotechnology firm for rapid organizational growth following a successful IPO, identifying cultural factors to retain while also establishing the stability required for a larger public company
- leading an organizational improvement program for a major cloud-computing company to increase revenue while doubling the number of employees with the effort retained start-up speed at scale
- creating and implementing a client-led transition to new operating model for a payments company, delivering on a new revenue growth strategy in a rapidly changing industry
- creating action plans to capture substantial organizational savings for a leading North American utility with efficiency opportunities translated into specific implementation plans following an organizational diagnostic
- designing and implementing a strategic planning and stakeholder engagement process for a top-20 public university seeking to engage its community in setting long-term vision and strategy
- helping a leading global foundation envision and plan an organizational redesign—including structure, roles, and coordinating mechanisms—to increase impact in global health and development
Steven is the dean of McKinsey’s Organizational Agility Forum. This interactive two-day workshop brings leaders together to discuss the latest thinking on agile organizations, facilitated by McKinsey experts.
As a former fellow with the McKinsey Global Institute, Steven analyzed the role US multinational companies play in affecting the US economy. In 2008–09, he also served as an advisor to Barack Obama’s presidential transition team, which focused on performance management in government. Before joining McKinsey, Steven worked in federal, state, and local government, including directing a state-level political campaign.