Rodrigo is one of the leading global advisers on M&A. In this capacity, he advises CEOs and executives on all types of transactions, with a specialty on setting up and executing large transformational deals and has been at the center of several market-shaping integrations and separations in the last decade. Rodrigo coleads McKinsey’s M&A work for consumer and retail globally and is one of the leaders of the firm’s thinking on M&A trends and execution success recipes for these sectors.
Since joining McKinsey, Rodrigo has worked with top executives in multiple sectors helping them shape transformational deals to drive value, both from combined growth and cost synergies. Over the last few years, he has successfully tailored the firm’s M&A playbook to apply it in the consumer and retail sectors, focusing on the value levers and success factors that matter most when conducting deals in these industries.
Rodrigo has helped support more than 50 mergers and acquisitions and has directly guided more than 20 large transformational integrations since 2010, several of them global.
Highlights of Rodrigo’s recent client work in consumer goods, retail, travel, telecommunications, and industrial sectors include the following:
- offering counsel to CEOs and top executives during the pre-announcement merger phase on both strategic deal considerations and how to best approach the integration
- helping set up large and complex integration-management offices programs spanning multiple regions and functions for industry-shaping deals in numerous sectors
- leading assessment pre-deal to capture value and orchestrating synergy implementation post-close, with focus on both revenue and cost synergies for all functions, always keeping a “customer-centric” mindset and with the objective to exceed the value of the deal thesis
- designing and articulating multi-year strategic integration roadmaps for domestic and global transactions, including the vital people, process, policy, and system integration journeys required to achieve the deal aspirations
- designing the organization for post-close and future state, helping to define optimal approaches to talent retention and selection, and establishing proven communication techniques to ensure a smooth “Day 1” with engaged and informed people
- assessing current cultures and working norms and helping organizations jointly design their cultural aspiration and values, positioning people at the center of the deal success
- building internal integration capabilities for serial acquirers both during deals and in advance of transaction activity