Tobias is the leader of our work in the sciences for growth sector, which brings together all analytics and technology capabilities for the Growth, Marketing & Sales Practice. He brings vast experience in the retail industry, having led the Retail Practice for six years.
Tobias works with retailers and packaged-goods clients on a wide range of transformative topics. With his 20 years of experience, he helps define growth strategies for success in new or changing environments both for incumbents and disruptors of the industry.
Recent examples of his work with grocery retailers in more than 20 countries include the following:
- helping retailers master the challenges of format and channel strategy
- designing a format strategy for a new discounter in Japan
- building the e-grocery business for retailers
- delivering a post-merger management program and securing synergies while simultaneously leveraging cross-country best practices for a European grocer
- designing a strategy to transform a top European DIY retailer into a leading omnichannel business focusing on its strategy, business, and organization models
- using big data to secure a completely new set of insights in customer needs for one of Europe’s leading grocers to run analytic-based assortment optimization and pricing decisions
- developing new format strategies in a discounter-dominated competitive arena for grocers in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
Tobias is the author of many articles and founder and senior content manager of McKinsey’s journal, Perspectives on retail and consumer goods.