Roland leads McKinsey’s commodity risk and trading work on a global basis.
For more than 20 years, Roland has offered advisory support to organizations that supply, trade, and buy commodity-related products. He has worked with oil and gas, mining, metals, utility, chemicals, and agriculture companies, and he has advised institutions that manage national resources, and merchant traders who operate within commodities markets.
Roland brings deep expertise on commercial optimization and commodities trading. He leads efforts to increase value capture from asset optimization along the value chain, develop trading growth strategies, launch new trading businesses, and make operating models more effective and efficient. Roland also serves clients who want to become more carbon efficient by advising on opportunities around making clean energy transitions.
Examples of his recent client work includes:
- assisting with the commercial optimization of a large North American oil company through closer technical and cultural integration of refinery operations, logistics, value chain optimization and trading functions
- building a new trading business for one of the largest mining majors across multiple asset classes
- supporting the diversification of a large gas and LNG producer into new low carbon technologies including hydrogen and electricity storage
- establishing commodity risk management and trading operations in procurement for a large industrial company
- advising an energy company in Europe to address growth opportunities in natural gas, and power marketing and trading
- leading a business strategy project for a large global energy company to use biofuels and biomass as energy sources and develop an origination and trading strategy