With a passion for technology, Matt is the global coleader of QuantumBlack Labs, which builds McKinsey’s technology and software applications to accelerate machine-learning operations and digital transformation (e.g., Kedro, PerformanceAI, and Studio).
Matt also leads the firm’s financial-services digital and technology solutions: a suite of seven solutions, 75 assets, and more than 500 colleagues globally. These seven solutions, FinLab, GCI Analytics, Finalta, PriceMetrix, Performance Lens, ACE, and Panorama, enable business transformation with data, analytics, and software tools across banking, wealth and asset management, real estate, and private equity. Matt founded FinLab—a team of data scientists, systems architects, and engineers spread across Atlanta, Boston, London, New York, and Silicon Valley—that builds at-scale data and software applications for financial institutions.
Matt’s expertise extends to strategy and corporate finance, and he has led the firm’s work in this space in the northeast United States. Prior to rejoining McKinsey, Matt cofounded a multicategory ecommerce retailer and worked as private-equity investor.
Drawing on his extensive experience in software and technology, Matt helps clients transform their businesses with technology tools, new digital-product launches, and analytical use cases, which includes multichannel customer acquisition, customer retention, credit underwriting, credit collections, natural-language processing of contract data, real-estate location selection, fraud, smart operations and robotic-process automation, and people analytics.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- helping a real-estate client build out the offering and full-tech stack of a new consumer-facing digital business
- helping a large financial institution automate and digitally enable corporate credit underwriting
- building a data warehouse and microservices architecture to power a variety of marketing and acquisition use cases
- advising a financial institution on how to optimize its real-estate footprint
- developing a retention analytics tool for a large portfolio company of a private-equity firm
Outside of work, Matt serves on the board of the Orchestra of St. Luke’s and on the event committee of CAG in New York City. He is an avid reader of fiction, a pickup-basketball player, traveler, and committed fan of the New York Knicks and Jets.