Jose leads McKinsey’s engineering and construction (E&C) work in North America, with a focus on real estate and construction technology. He advises capital project leaders across the project lifecycle, including investors, public sector institutions with large capital programs, and E&C or real estate project owners across Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America.
Jose has served global E&C firms with a specialization in operational excellence, mergers and acquisitions, turnarounds, and digital transformations. He brings deep expertise in optimizing performance and unlocking value through embedding digital capabilities and deploying and scaling up new technologies.
Jose spearheads McKinsey’s global E&C performance benchmark, which periodically reviews the financial and operating health of the world’s top E&C firms. As a leader of our digital work in capital projects and infrastructure, he also leads McKinsey’s construction technology landscape scan, which periodically maps emerging construction technology solutions against innovation and investment patterns.
Before joining McKinsey, Jose spent almost 10 years at ACS, Europe’s largest E&C conglomerate, where he led hundreds of engineers and workers in completing some of the company’s most complex projects. This included transforming a former bullring into a shopping mall in 2009 and constructing Agbar Tower, one of Barcelona’s skyline landmarks, in 2006.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- leading an end-to-end review of the capital planning, design, construction, leasing, and facilities management of a large US federal agency, identifying capital needs, mapping key processes, and developing a road map to achieve significant cost reductions and improved customer experience
- supporting multiple merger integrations for infrastructure firms, including a merger management effort for a top 10 global E&C firm, with focus on maximizing revenue and cost synergies
- conducting multiple due diligence efforts in infrastructure, including market sizing, competitive analyses, and the evaluation of entry strategies or potential acquisitions, for E&C firms in North America across civil works, environmental, waste, and water
- devising and implementing a digital strategy for a leading construction technology company
- conducting a footprint rationalization for an infrastructure firm in order to optimize its network of offices based on performance and growth potential
- assessing and implementing capital planning and execution excellence levers for a large US state