John is a leader in our Global Energy and Materials and People & Organizational Performance Practices.
John brings extensive experience to serving oil-and-gas, petrochemical, mining, and power-generation companies, with a focus on overall operations and organizational-performance transformation. An expert in change management and culture change, he has helped executives in North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa get the most out of their organizational investments.
Since joining McKinsey, John has led or participated in more than 30 corporate-wide or large manufacturing site performance transformations in a variety of industries. He is a graduate of McKinsey’s Lean Operations Academy.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- leading an effort to reorganize the maintenance and engineering functions at a global petrochemicals company
- directing support for a large-scale merger integration between two leading oil-and-gas companies
- guiding a performance and organizational-health transformation for a global utilities company
- leading a performance-transformation initiative for a major manufacturer, including engineering, product development, and supplier management
- directing a broad operations transformation for an oil-sands operator, including significant changes to the operating model and contractor-management practices
- directing cost-reduction and lean-transformation programs across multiple refining and petrochemical locations for both integrated and independent oil-and-gas companies
Before joining the firm, John worked at a global aviation-products-and-services company, where he addressed a variety of challenges, including optimizing manufacturing processes, boosting fleet reliability, improving spare-part planning, and pursuing new business development. He is a certified Six Sigma Black Belt.
John is on the advisory board for the faculty of business administration at Memorial University of Newfoundland. He is a long-serving member of the faculty for the McKinsey Change Leaders Forum.