Björn-Uwe is a partner in McKinsey's Operations Practice. Based in Munich, Germany, he focuses on product development and procurement work. He is the global leader and managing director of Orpheus, the firm’s technology solution and service for spending insights, cost analytics, and value-capture management.
Since joining in 2004, he has helped a large number of clients across industries and regions including automotive and assembly, chemicals, high tech, oil and gas, and telecommunications to create impact through operations with a specific focus on procurement value-capture and transformation programs.
Recent examples of his work include the following:
- completing various procurement analytics engagements across companies and industries to enable, identify, and capture value through defining, implementing, and anchoring data transparency and advanced analytics solutions and capabilities
- performing various procurement synergy identification and capture programs in M&A situations, including for a chemicals company with indirect and raw material spending combining structured procurement analytics and orchestrated value-capture
- conducting various holistic procurement transformation programs, including for a national oil and gas company, upstream and downstream, combining category optimization with capability building and operating model redesign
- implementing negotiation-focused programs, including negotiation “war gaming” in a cross-cultural business context and orchestrated key suppliers’ negotiation programs for high tech companies
- conducting procurement operations model engagements, including developing strategic scenarios for the evolution of the corporate procurement functions of a multibillion-dollar industrial company
- conducting multiple procurement academy programs to train and develop the capabilities of strategic buyers through field-and-forum type learning programs