Tom serves retail and consumer-goods clients on growth strategy, digital, merchandising, and marketing topics. He currently leads McKinsey’s work in retail merchandising for the Americas. Prior to this, Tom was based in the Peru office, where he led our Consumer Packaged Goods and Retail Practices for Peru, Chile, and Colombia.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- reinvigorating the strategy of a home-improvement retailer through strategic shifts in branding, format, and merchandising strategy
- leading a digital-marketing transformation at a North American electronics retailer, increasing sales return per digital-marketing dollar spent by more than 15 percent
- leading the corporate-strategy process for a major office-supplies retailer, defining an approach to target category and customer segments for growth and to improve underlying capabilities in the business
- designing a strategy for an emerging-markets grocer to win versus traditional informal markets through innovations in format, management of brand and price perception, and regulatory strategy
- developing a multichannel marketing strategy for a hardline retailer, including the launch of personalized marketing campaigns with an 8x response rate relative to historical investments