As a partner in McKinsey’s Munich office, Stephan is a core member of the European product development and procurement work efforts. He has broad, cross-functional operations expertise and helps clients in identifying customer needs and translating them into specifications and impactful actions leveraging the latest technical solutions.
Since joining McKinsey in 2004, Stephan has brought to clients his deep functional expertise in the areas of design-to-value, design for sustainability, resource cleansheet CO2 and target cost modeling, and capability building.
Examples of Stephan’s recent client work include the following:
- founding the McKinsey design-to-value labs and the cleansheet target-cost software solution
- leading design-to-value gross margin increase and carbon-reduction engagements, capability building, and institutionalization across industries with a focus in automotive and assembly, high tech, and medical products
- leading product conventions for automotive, aerospace, healthcare, and consumer products
- performing CO2 and cost-resource cleansheet calculations and manufacturing footprint optimization for renewable energy plants, energy-efficient houses, next-generation cars, and household appliances
- leading design for sustainability to reduce the environmental impact of consumer-packaged products across their life cycle
- performed time-to-market reduction and project management for consumer products and capital projects
- conducted product-teardown analyses, moderating teardown, and idea-generation workshops