Joris coleads McKinsey’s manufacturing analytics work within the Operations Practice in Europe.
An expert in digital manufacturing, Joris brings insights into how disruptive technologies such as machine learning can transform manufacturing processes. He focuses on understanding costs and optimizing throughput, looking for ways to achieve operational excellence—including pursing greater sustainability, increasing the use of digitization, and building new capabilities within organizations.
Since joining McKinsey in 2011, Joris has advised clients in multiple asset-intensive industries. He helps companies achieve transformational change by showing that artificial intelligence, advanced analytics, and automation can enhance the way people approach work and that the benefits can be scaled and sustained.
Examples of Joris’ recent client work include the following:
- transforming a global chemicals company by digitally enabling and showcasing operational excellence at select plants; including putting in place holistic approaches to people, processes, and technology
- driving an 18-month transformation for a leading global steel company and setting up an analytics academy to instill best-practice digital approaches
- leading a digital manufacturing transformation for a chemicals company including capability building in advanced analytics, achieving substantial EBIT improvements in plants across Europe
- developing an advanced analytics energy efficiency program for a power provider with a quick-win roll-out across ten power stations
- conducting variable cost diagnostics for companies in Africa, Asia, and Europe in industries including materials, mining, steel, paper, and chemicals
Joris is interested in fostering debate on the future of industry, and has published articles on how digital technologies and advanced analytics can transform manufacturing operations.