John advises companies across a variety of industries and continents on their transformation and growth efforts. His broad cross-sector experience ranges from hospitality to global transport—including hotels and airlines, ocean and air freight, and trucking and distribution—and spans the value chain from capital-intensive real estate development to asset-light brokerage and distribution. He advises clients on growth at both a strategic and tactical level including M&A, new product development, value-based pricing, digital sales, and sales force effectiveness.
John’s client projects include the following:
- leading a two-year program to help a large global real estate developer overhaul the way they design, source, and manage new builds, generating more than $50 million in annual cash savings.
- spearheading a go-to-market transformation at a major global hotel company; designed a program which allowed a reduction of 15 percent in costs while increasing sales coverage by 10 percent. Led the design of a corporate-wide program and customization and implementation of action plans in China, India, United Arab Emirates, France, and the United States.
- advising a leading global container shipping line on a transformation of commercial strategy and execution including sales, trade, and pricing elements. Led on-the-ground teams in local markets in China, Australia, India, Germany, Italy, UK, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, and the United States. The impact, validated in pilots, is estimated at more than $250 million in annual earnings.
- leading a two-year growth transformation at a global post and logistics provider overhauling company's go-to-market approach from product centric to customer-focused. Drove near-term impact to be in excess of $100 million in annual earnings, which was reinvested in building a $300 million healthcare logistics business in China, Singapore, India, Europe, and the United States.
- leading a commercial strategy effort at a North American “class-1” railroad, focused on differentiating marketing strategy for key customer groups such as commodity and mode. Estimated impact from recommendations exceeds $100 million, $60 million of which hit the bottom-line in the first eight months.
Before joining McKinsey, John held positions in operations, finance, and strategic planning at the Walt Disney Company, American Express, Hard Rock Cafe, and the National Basketball Association.