Christer serves clients in the energy space on topics along the entire oil-and-gas and power value chains, including upstream oil and gas, energy trading and marketing, conventional and renewable power generation, transmission and distribution, energy retail, and district heating. In addition, Christer has worked extensively with energy intensive industries.
Christer has covered a wide range of functional topics in his client work. Recent examples include:
- developing a Nordic growth strategy for power sales, grid operations, and district heating for a Scandinavian power company
- evaluating acquisition opportunities within renewable energy in Europe for a private-equity company
- implementing a new organizational structure and core processes for a leading oil company
- implementing an integrated performance-improvement program, covering both operating-expenditure and capital-expenditure levers for a global oil-and-gas company
- establishing processes for development and evaluation of employees and leading workshops to strengthen leadership in group—top-team alignment for a large Northern European power utility
In addition to his client work, Christer has led a series of knowledge initiatives within energy. He leads the work to develop and maintain McKinsey’s Global Energy Perspective (GEP). Furthermore, he has led the following knowledge efforts: developing an overall European gas supply-and-demand perspective; developing McKinsey’s proprietary global gas model and using this to outline a global gas perspective, including LNG flows; crafting an integrated power perspective for Europe (interplay between gas, coal, nuclear power, and renewables); assessing future power price volatility and flexibility measures (including demand flexibility in connection with smart-grid applications) in the European power market; and developing the European power CEO perspective that outlines McKinsey’s view on how the market is expected to develop.