Bill has extensive experience in the global energy industry, and he serves clients in Asia, Europe, Russia, and the United States on a broad range of issues, including strategic diligence, cross-operations, risk management, and large-scale transformations.
As coleader of our work in the nuclear-energy industry, he is one of the firm’s leading experts in nuclear-power-plant operations and risk management, and he has driven our recent research and knowledge development in this area over the past several years. In this capacity, he works routinely in partnership with CFOs, COOs, and chief nuclear officers to navigate the significant disruption in this sector.
Examples of Bill’s recent client work include the following:
- leading performance transformations at multiple fleet and independent nuclear operators, including targeted support, comprehensive transformations, and recovery efforts
- spearheading capital-project improvements, ranging from the turnaround of a nuclear-power-plant upgrade project in deep regulatory distress to portfolio optimization and project optimization at individual sites
- directing multiple strategic economic evaluations of nuclear and fossil portfolios, informing owner and investor decisions
- developing cross-operations transformations of several fossil power facilities, including revenue optimization, cost reduction, and overall health improvement
- leading improvement efforts at several oil and gas and chemical and mining enterprises, supporting asset and capital productivity, enterprise risk management, and organizational health
- developing a comprehensive energy strategy for a US region, focusing on building and sustaining long-term competitiveness in the global energy sector
Before joining McKinsey, Bill held leadership positions at the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO) and Duke Energy. He also served in the US Navy’s submarine force.