Daniel leads our global food-retail sector and coleads the firm’s Retail Practice in Europe. He has been with McKinsey since 2007 and has served more than ten leading grocery and nonfood retailers in Europe with his expertise in category management (assortment, price, and promotions), advanced analytics, store operations, and strategy.
His recent client work includes the following:
- assisting the commercial turnaround of two grocery companies by adjusting all commercial levers, including assortment, price, promotion, private label, and purchasing, introducing new commercial methodologies and processes, and building the capabilities of the organization to win back market share against discounters
- helping transform two grocers into advanced analytics-driven companies, which included building up the required capabilities and technologies and implementing first-use cases in category management, including assortment, price, and promotions
- developing online growth strategies for three grocers and one nonfood company and defining a new operating model
- reorganizing a retailer to become more customer focused, agile, and lean
- improving the operational excellence in store and via the supply chain of seven different retailers
Prior to joining McKinsey, Daniel founded a software start-up and sold it successfully after five years.