Roman has extensive experience in the energy sector and leads McKinsey’s procurement and supply-management work within the Electric Power & Natural Gas Practice. He has led multiple purchasing and supply-management transformations for both regulated utilities and merchant power producers across diverse categories of direct and indirect spend, including major capital projects and services. He is deeply knowledgeable in manufacturing and industrial operations, and the integration of procurement optimization levers into operational-performance transformations across all power generation technologies, from fossil to renewable to nuclear power generation.
Examples of Roman’s recent client service include the following:
- leading the procurement performance and capability transformation for a regional electric utility, delivering a more than 15 percent cost reduction across the entire procured spend, and addressing over 20 direct and indirect materials and services categories—thus delivering a comprehensive redesign of the procurement function, leading implementation of new digital and analytics tools, and designing a capability-building program for procurement staff and key operating stakeholders
- delivering a spend and capability transformation for a major gas utility, resulting in a more than 30 percent total cost of ownership savings across a wide variety of services contracts, while deploying an innovative agile operating model for procurement execution.
- developing and deploying an innovative cross-functional agile sourcing operating model to help a gas-utility client significantly reduce cycle time in complex request-for-proposal development and improve cross-functional collaboration.
- leading the end-to-end transformation across a significant IT spend base—addressing a full range of categories from services to hardware, software, and telecommunications—while implementing an innovative long-term demand planning and demand-management process; deploying advanced analytics tools, including detailed should-cost models for services; and completing an accelerated global sourcing process to identify and onboard new services partnerships
- spearheading cost-repositioning efforts for multiple single-unit and multiunit nuclear generation facilities focused on optimizing on-site outside services spend, including optimizing contracting methodologies, demand management, contractor management processes, and terms and conditions
Before joining McKinsey, Roman worked as a finance and administration manager for a leading private air-transportation-services company in Peru. In this capacity, he provided helicopter-transportation services to global and regional oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure development companies in Latin America.