Rafael brings more than 10 years of consulting experience serving industrial clients. He leads our work with advanced industries in Iberia and directs our Operations 4.0 initiative on a global basis. This effort focuses on the potential for end-to-end automation, advanced analytics and digital technologies to boost productivity along the operational value chain (from product development and purchasing to manufacturing, quality and supply chain).
With particularly deep expertise in low-volume high-complexity industries, Rafael often works with energy OEM’s (generation, transmission, and distribution clients – in both conventional and renewables categories) as well as civil and military aerospace, automotive, rolling stock, and shipbuilding.
In his advisory work, Rafael helps clients drive operational performance transformations, fully leveraging also their use of digital analytics technology, making their end-to-end operations more productive and agile. This work sets companies up for stronger growth and profitability.
Examples of his recent work include:
- developing an industry 4.0 and digital vision focused on services for a shipbuilding company
- development of the robotics & automation strategy and operational roadmap for a leading Aerospace OEM
- conducting a multi-year transformation program focused on product optimization and reducing material costs for a leading renewable energy OEM, using core cost and design-to-cost methodologies
- advising a renewable energy manufacturer on production modularization as part of a procurement transformation project
- restructuring the global engineering footprint for a mass transit OEM to establish lean methodologies and support further globalization
- designing and launching a transformation program for the ship repair business of a leading naval company, including segmentation for civil and military markets and a 10-year strategic plan
Strongly interested in sharing state-of-the-art insights, Rafael is a regular key note speaker on the future of operations and automation, recently presenting in different forums in Germany, UK, Spain, Dubai and Argentina. He also publishes frequently, with particular focus on the potential for data analytics, digital automation and artificial intelligence to inspire great efficiency and productivity in operations.
Before joining McKinsey, Rafael worked in product development, research, and operations for companies and research institutions in Venezuela, Canada, and Germany. He is a native Spanish speaker and is fluent in both English and German.