Philipp leads McKinsey’s M&A work in Europe. He often works at the intersection of technical and financial issues, including with performance transformations, cost improvements, M&A and postmerger‐integration efforts, turnarounds, due diligence, and other issues in the CFO arena.
Philipp has been advising clients in the automotive, machinery, and basic‐materials industries; financial institutions; sovereign‐wealth funds; and private‐equity companies for more than 15 years in China, Europe, and the United States.
Examples of his recent work include the following:
- running a clean team to prepare a cross‐border merger of two publicly traded companies
- leading a financial‐turnaround program for a Chinese OEM
- restructuring the material cost base of a US OEM
- conducting a financial‐benchmarking exercise for a DAX‐30 CFO
- formulating the M&A and postmerger-integration strategies for an international merger in the basic‐materials sector
- running a profitability program for a steel-automotive supplier in Southern Europe
- developing an investment strategy and screening assets for an Asian sovereign fund
- assessing the industrial credit portfolio of a financial intermediary
- leading the postmerger‐integration team for two European industrials
- developing a value-generation strategy for an automotive CFO in the United States
Philipp is fluent in German, English, and Spanish.