Philip co-leads McKinsey's Global Payments Practice. He works extensively with financial services, nonfinancial, and technology firms on strategy and operations issues with a focus on payments, such as enterprise payments strategy, credit cards, emerging payments technology, payments infrastructure, and policy.
His recent work in includes:
- serving a number of North American and international financial institutions, including a global bank, a US regional bank, and a leading Brazilian bank, on developing an enterprise-wide payments strategy across retail banking, cash management, and credit cards to generate incremental growth from the franchise
- advising credit players across the value chain (issuing, merchant acquiring, network, private label), including a leading US issuer, on a range of product development, digital marketing, analytics/risk, customer experience, and operations topics
- assisting with a number of strategic acquisitions and development of a peer-to-peer offering for a top payments technology firm
- serving a number of emerging payments players in the digital payments and merchant acquiring arenas
- working with a number of the leading retailers, airlines, and telecommunications companies in four areas: digital commerce/point of sale, negotiating co-brand arrangements, payments acceptance costs, and selling financial products
Philip also advises a number of industry infrastructure organizations such as The Clearing House as well as central banks around the world. He leads our payments research and has written extensively on the global payments industry, credit and debit cards, merchant acquiring, and emerging payments opportunities.