Jan leads our global Innovation efforts within the Operations Practice. In this role, he shapes McKinsey's knowledge-building across Operations topics.
Based in Germany, Jan serves both regional and global clients in the consumer goods industry as they address procurement-related challenges. This expertise applies broadly across related industries, and in his work with executives in automotive and other sectors he advises on transforming performance, driving cost optimization, setting new operating models, and improving global sourcing.
His recent work includes:
- putting in place a global central procurement function for a leading beverage company
- directing a multi-wave spend reduction program for a global automotive sector company
- helping a conglomerate of fast-moving consumer goods and industrial companies optimize indirect spending
- designing a global procurement excellence program for an automotive original equipment manufacturer
- advising a pharmaceutical company on category optimization and supplier development
- building a tax-efficient buy-sell organization for a global conglomerate in the food industry
Jan studied industrial engineering at the Technical University Darmstadt, including coursework at RWTH Aachen, EPFL Lausanne, and the University of London. His thesis at the University of Cologne explored the sources of sustainable competitive advantage in logistics. He has published articles on retail topics in the German-language press, including the Harvard Business Manager.