Hari leads McKinsey’s work for several global energy clients, with a focus in oil and gas. He is passionate about helping clients navigate the energy sector to create greater impact and relevance in the current era. Hari heads McKinsey’s Oil & Gas Practice in Southeast Asia, and the firm’s global service work for analytics in oil and gas in collaboration with QuantumBlack, AI by McKinsey.
Hari has shaped and led full-potential transformations using digital and analytics, and supported clients with operations-improvement programs for profitability and emissions, strategic pivots for net-zero reduction plans, energy-transition response strategies, capability-building programs, and change-management programs. He has served global integrated majors, regional majors, and independent corporations across the United States, the Middle East, Northwestern Europe, Southeast Asia, India, and Australia.
Examples of Hari’s client work include the following:
- shaping the multiyear digital and analytics transformation of an oil major to improve profit and achieve emissions reductions across refining, liquified natural gas, chemicals, upstream, and megaprojects
- driving full-potential operations improvement programs for several global refining and chemicals sites in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, India, and Southeast Asia, achieving major bottom-line improvements and energy efficiencies for lower emissions
- supporting an oil major to design a tailored repurposing strategy for late-life assets across the value chain to create new energy businesses including carbon capture and sequestration (CCS), blue hydrogen, offshore wind, green hydrogen, and sustainable aviation fuels
- supporting an oil company’s flagship CCS megaproject by helping significantly improve the investment case through value engineering and design to value
- advising a government energy agency on designing a response strategy and policy to address disruption in fuel supply and demand
- enabling a regional oil major to sustain impacts from a digital transformation by supporting an enterprise-wide capability program, setting up a digital factory and new work processes, establishing agile methods to tweak conventional work processes, institutionalizing multiple digital assets and libraries for reuse, and setting up advanced systems to sustain analytics initiatives such as machine learning operations and data operations
- developing a 2050 fuels strategy for a global oil supermajor including specific disruption impact assessments in key markets from electric vehicles, hydrogen, and sustainable aviation fuels
- developing a global fuels strategy for a large Middle Eastern oil company
Outside of work, Hari enjoys playing his guitar, trying new cuisine, traveling, and spending time with his family.