Gillian is based in Nairobi, she leads our Agriculture Practice in Africa and has served agricultural companies and organizations across North America and Africa on topics such as business strategy, market entry, M&A, supply chain, and procurement. Gillian also focuses on broader sustainable economic development topics, such as manufacturing and job creation, rural electrification, and forest protection. She serves governments and donors, as well as the private sector.
Examples of her recent client work include the following:
- helped multiple major global agricultural-inputs organizations develop Africa growth strategies by identifying innovative mechanisms and business models to unlock agricultural markets on the continent
- led multiple efforts of digital-ecosystem building and strategy for agriculture companies and financial institutions, specifically targeting smallholder farmers
- helped an African government improve coffee production by five times over a ten-year period to increase foreign exchange earnings and improve livelihoods in the country
- developed the national forest sector strategy for an African country, including identifying innovative financing mechanisms and community-based models to expand afforestation and forest protection
- developed an investment strategy for a major nonprofit foundation to invest in programs to transform rural women’s livelihoods and outcomes in health and gender empowerment