A biologist, epidemiologist, and business leader by training, Duko coleads McKinsey’s global work on nature-related topics and McKinsey’s nature analytics team, an advanced data scientist group focused on supporting clients addressing the degradation of natural capital. He is a thought partner for private, public, and social-sector leaders in natural capital, and has extensive experience serving clients across sectors and geographies.
Duko has published landmark reports on the topic of nature conservation and natural climate solutions and supports governments with developing nature strategies in the context of biodiversity objectives, new distribution capabilities, and socioeconomic development targets using innovative conservation and funding mechanisms.
Duko has developed terrestrial and marine nature conservation strategies at the national and subnational level as well as successful antipoaching strategies, created a public-private strategy to double a country’s wildlife economy and defined growth strategies for leading international conservation nongovernmental organizations (NGO). He supports companies in addressing the complex natural capital footprint of operations and supply chains, as well as on the topics of green business building and natural climate solution investment strategies. Duko works with and has built cross-industry alliances to address global sustainability topics.
Before joining McKinsey, Duko built and led an organization to improve financial inclusion in sub-Saharan Africa.
Examples of Duko’s recent client work includes the following:
- supporting governments around the world with developing and implementing nature conservation strategies that optimize outcomes for communities, biodiversity, and climate
- developing innovative financing mechanisms for marine conservation for a global conservation alliance
- supporting a government agency with implementing a jurisdictional-scale protected area
- developing a natural climate solution investment portfolio for a leading private-equity group
- creating growth strategies for several prominent nature conservation organizations
- developing a green business build for a telecommunications corporation