Carlos serves both national and regional payers, Medicaid-managed care organizations (MCO), healthcare providers, and safety-net hospital systems in areas of corporate strategy, growth, organizational transformation, talent, and operations. He is primarily focused on corporate strategy and strategic transformations of payer health plans.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- working with a large national Medicaid-MCO plan in defining and supporting a portfolio of growth initiatives
- supporting a regional payer in developing their corporate strategy, designing the strategic plan and the portfolio of initiatives to meet their growth and financial aspirations
- advising a large national safety-net hospital system focusing on the Medicaid population in the transformation of their behavioral-health offerings by helping to designing their mental-health services and programs
- supporting a large Medicaid-focused health-system provider in assessing and improving physician productivity across multiple hospitals and outpatient clinics
- supporting a regional payer in a comprehensive diagnostic of their cost structure and the launch of a transformation program aimed at reducing spending
- supporting a large Medicaid organization in defining a portfolio of initiatives to improve their quality measures across several states
- advising a specialty hospital in their five-year strategic planning through detailed forecasting of their volume by service line
Prior to McKinsey, Carlos held a postdoctoral position at MIT, where he developed novel tools for medical research. During his PhD, he developed novel technologies for drug discovery and surgical devices.