Boyd is a partner in our Carolinas office, based in the Triangle, who brings over 20 years of extensive knowledge and in-depth experience in biopharmaceutical operations. He serves clients in the biopharma sector globally on growth and consolidation strategy, operational efficiency, digitally enabled innovation, and large-scale transformations.
Within McKinsey’s Life Sciences Practice, Boyd leads our North America biopharma operations work. Additionally, he leads McKinsey’s global POBOS benchmarking work, where he manages the benchmarking of multiple biologics operations clients. He also helped shape the firm’s perspective on vaccines manufacturing in support of COVID-19 operations.
Examples of Boyd’s recent client work include the following:
- advising a major vaccine manufacturer on improving throughput without capital expenditure as part of a large global transformation
- driving the lean implementation at a midsized pharmaceuticals and vaccines manufacturer to improve process efficiencies, and increase productivity and capacity
- coaching senior leadership of a pharmaceuticals company on site management, lean systems, and continuous improvement principles
- designing a site optimization strategy for a large biopharmaceutical manufacturer to realize manufacturing network efficiencies and cost savings
- leading a comprehensive operation diagnostic for a global biologics company to identify cost reduction across the entire production value chain
Before joining McKinsey, Boyd worked at a global pharmaceutical company in vaccine and biologics operations. Outside work, Boyd loves to spend time with his wife and three teenagers, catching sports on a regular basis and supporting his alma mater college football teams.