Bobby is a partner at McKinsey and the head of our Addis Ababa office. He is a senior leader in our Public Sector & Social Sector Practice as well as our Healthcare Systems & Services Practice, and advises clients on healthcare transformations globally. He leads McKinsey’s healthcare work in Africa, where he specializes in strengthening and transforming national, regional, and academic health systems to improve access, quality of care, and financial performance. He is also a geographical leader in Ethiopia for the McKinsey Health Institute, a non-profit-generating entity within the firm that aspires to catalyze action to add 45 billion years of higher-quality life for all people around the world.
Bobby has more than 17 years of experience as a consultant serving both public- and private-sector clients. He advises organizations in the healthcare, energy, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and mining sectors in the Middle East, North America, and Africa, among other regions. Bobby’s work includes strategy, operations, and organization. In addition, he has expertise in designing, setting up, and operating delivery units.
Bobby’s recent client work includes the following:
- supporting a government-run COVID-19 command center for an East African country, including structuring the performance anatomy, developing activity plans for various pillars, mapping and prioritizing demand, and applying global learnings
- conducting a health system diagnostic, developing a health system strategy and leading a transformational program designed to support key reform agendas as part of a five-year strategic plan created by an African government
- conducting broad performance improvements and transformations for regional and national health systems within Africa
- undertaking board-level performance management and project planning for a major teaching and research hospital in the Middle East, including a significant transformation program where he led a team responsible for defining KPIs for the organization and rationalizing the portfolio of projects to the board
- working with government institutions in East and South Africa to develop sector-specific transformation strategies, including setting up delivery units and introducing delivery labs to achieve rapid results
- supporting a state-owned enterprise with a comprehensive operational and organizational strategy for managing the national health supply chain in an African country
Prior to joining McKinsey, Bobby was a biomedical scientist and molecular biophysicist at Harvard Medical School, and holds several undergraduate and graduate degrees in mathematics, chemistry, computational chemistry, and computational physics.