With more than 20 years of experience in the energy and oil and gas sectors, Tim advises international and national oil companies on strategy development, asset optimization, and petroleum market assessment. He brings a regional, national, and global perspective, helping energy clients hone in on insights while still taking stock of the bigger macroeconomic picture.
Tim’s leading expertise on downstream strategy topics—M&A, major capital project evaluation, and crude and product market strategies—has helped clients develop the critical approaches, tools, and data sets that drive strategic action in a sector filled with uncertainty. He also has deep experience in the rapidly growing area of unconventional gas and oil, and has helped clients understand the market outlook and strategic implications of tight gas, shale gas, and light tight oil.
Working closely with major players in the industry, Tim helps executives analyze refining trends, design and implement successful strategies in downstream markets, and achieve greater market efficiencies and valuations at the asset level.
Examples of his recent work include:
- Advising a US refiner on the full-scale redesign of its refinery optimization process, including an evaluation and overhaul of its operating strategy, performance metrics, and optimization tools and models
- Working with a major national oil company to develop a strategic plan for market-based transfer prices for crude oil and refined petroleum products
- Helping a US refiner spot refining market discontinuities in the US Gulf Coast region that could be seized as opportunities for establishing competitive advantage
- Developing a global petroleum market model for a leading oil company, including a strategic assessment of market developments and value implications
- Conducting a comprehensive market valuation study of refining assets in the Mediterranean, Russia, South America, Caribbean, US East Coast, Canada, Australia, Southeast Asia, and Korea
- Developing a crude marketing strategy for a Latin American heavy crude producer
- Developing a product placement strategy for a US Gulf Coast refiner
Before joining McKinsey, Tim worked as an energy consultant in Washington, DC.