With more than 25 years of experience in leading Japan's digital transformation and core technology expertise, Michi leads McKinsey Digital in Japan, where he has led productivity improvements, core technology modernization and data-driven management, and new business building using digital analytics technology. Michi is passionate about helping more clients in Japan with his motto “digitize Japan”.
Examples of Michi’s recent client work include the following:
- supporting a digital-led corporate transformation for a major manufacturing company
- executing a “light digital transformation”within two years that generated billions in profit
- freeing up resources by adopting a dashboard for data-driven decision making, digitizing the financial planning and analysis process, and digitizing employee workstyles
- reinvesting resources to digitize sales, services, and factory operations, which provided a digital capability-building program and reformed corporate culture at the same time
- supporting core technology modernization for large bank
- designing next-generation IT architecture and data platform by benchmarking with industry best practices and restructuring the IT-operating model, which includes agile, DevOps, and application-programming interfaces for development speed cost optimization using cloud solutions, integrated business, and IT through organizational capability building to accelerate digital transformations
- supporting a retail company in making AI based marketing and sales; replaced human-centric merchandising and operation based on the experience and instinct of sales representatives
- identifying consumer needs using big data such as consumer traffic based on smartphone location information; made algorithm to set competitive assortment and prices and balanced with store operation to maximize sales and profit
- achieving an average of five percent sales and profit uplift during a pilot test; as a result, this algorithm was rolled out nationwide
Michi has made several entrepreneurial contributions to McKinsey. He has created a number of solutions and methodologies at McKinsey Digital that have won company-wide competitions twice and helped to create greater impact in client engagements.
Prior to joining the firm, Michi worked at Accenture for more than ten years in a number of large-scale systems architecture, technology modernization, and cloud migration projects; and for over four years in the outsourcing sales and solutions division. He was later promoted to senior principal.