Matthias is a leader of McKinsey Technology’s data transformation work, helping clients create sustainable value from their data. He also coleads McKinsey’s work in data science and analytics in Germany. He partners with chief data and analytics officers to innovate on their data strategy, combining accelerated value creation with the implementation of required data foundations and enablers. Matthias helps companies move past isolated analytics experiments to create productionized and scaled use of insights in business operations and build new data-driven businesses.
Matthias brings deep expertise in the major data disciplines to his work, and seeks to co-innovate on them with his clients. He codeveloped McKinsey's distinctive approach to business-driven data governance, using a data domain concept and dedicated data roles in the business. He is also active in innovating around data architecture and engineering, working with clients to leverage cloud-based data platforms, and to bridge the gap between data producers and consumers. Matthias also helps companies with their significant challenge of changing the organizational mindset toward a data-driven culture and systematically building data capabilities in the broader organization.
With his industrial experience, Matthias brings extensive knowledge of machine-related data and the data from connected devices and sensors (industrial IoT) to his client work. He has helped multiple companies develop industrial data platforms for real-time processing, creating the flexibility to move analytics between the cloud and edge devices.
Matthias seeks to bring best practices from across industries to all of his work, for example transferring the most effective methods from advanced data industries such as banking and insurance to other sectors such as automotive, utilities, and industrial companies.
Examples of Matthias’ recent work include the following:
- helping a global medical devices company build its data capabilities by developing its data strategy and operating model, and supporting their launch of a data management office
- working with a European utility service provider to help them develop a forward-looking view of their data capabilities and craft a blueprint for their cloud-based data architecture
- helping an oil and gas company scale its digital factory by developing an agile data governance and operating model and bringing prioritized data assets under management
- leading a digital strategy and two-year transformation program for a global industrial company, including the design of the future data and IoT production platform for driving product innovation and capturing important control points
- leading the development of data management practices at a large European universal bank, including their technological capabilities and the advanced analytics setup
- supporting a large utility provider in building up its analytics acceleration lab, identifying big-data use cases and helping set up pilots for early experimentation