Previously based in Nairobi, Bill has helped retail and consumer clients in Sub-Saharan Africa achieve sustainable growth and operational excellence. He has worked closely with clients on strategy, growth, and operations issues, and led a major McKinsey initiative to develop insights into consumer spending, preferences, and behavior across Africa.
Bill's expertise includes merchandising, category strategy, assortment optimization, format redesign, and supply-chain transformation.
Recent examples of his client work include the following:
- helping to develop growth strategies for consumer companies Egypt, Nigeria, and South Africa, each of which resulted in significant market share gains
- leading an end to end merchandising transformation for a leading African retailer
- leading a large store operations transformation for a leading apparel retailer
- developing a new grocery format for a leading African retailer
- supporting the design and implementation of a supply chain transformation program for a leading FMCG company
Prior to joining McKinsey. Bill spent 7 years as a US naval officer and submariner, earning a master's degree in nuclear engineering from the US Naval Nuclear Power School. He joined McKinsey in Atlanta, relocating to South Africa in 2007. Bill is now located in our Mexico City office.