Xiaofan is a partner in McKinsey’s Shanghai office. He joined the firm in 2011, and now leads the Oil & Gas Practice. As one of the core leadership members in McKinsey’s sustainability and growth platform in Greater China, he works with various state-owned, privately-owned, and multinational companies within the oil, gas, and chemicals industries.
In addition, he leads decarbonization operations and broader sustainability discussions with many clients in China. He also coleads the “green operations” initiatives in Asia, which involves client development and practice establishment.
Xiaofan’s key experiences encompass supporting sustainable business strategies and optimizing operations roadmaps.
Beyond sustainability, Xiaofan also leads end-to-end and tech-enabled operations transformation programs for various basic material and chemical clients in China.
Some examples of Xiaofan’s recent work include the following:
- leading the strategic roadmap design and alignment study in the solar renewable sector, focusing on core solar business as well as adjacent hydrogen, energy-storage business in both domestic and global markets
- advising a leading oil-and-gas client on its strategy review, benchmark, and roadmap-design study focusing on energy transition and business strategy
- performing a holistic refinery and petrochemical transformation to focus on operations improvement with advanced analytics and new business development
- conducting an end-to-end lean and digital transformation in the steel sector across various operations, organizations, and commercial topics
- delivering multiple diagnostics and operations transformation projects, ranging from process industry modeling system optimization, to energy efficiency, equipment reliability and capacity building topics in the chemical sector