Notable examples of Ulrich’s work in the past include the following:
- Building long-term strategies for several global specialty chemical companies, often with focus on growth in emerging technology fields
- Helping chemical companies screen potential M&A targets: conduct due diligence and facilitate post-merger integration
- Restructuring and Transformation of companies in process industries for achieving a stable profitability and growth
- Supporting large-scale reorganizations that involve the introduction of new operating models and governance structures
- Increasing the productivity in research and development in the chemical industry
Before joining McKinsey in 2004, Ulrich worked as a research scientist at the European Molecular Biology Laboratories in Heidelberg, Germany. While earning a master’s degree in biochemistry from the University of Regensburg, he spent a year as an exchange student at Washington University, St. Louis.