Since joining McKinsey, Paul has worked primarily with large electric utility clients on the topic of power generation operations globally, developing long-term growth strategies, achieving operational effectiveness, and leading major transformations through change readiness.
Paul co-leads our work in conventional generation for the Electric Power & Natural Gas Practice. He is one of the firm's foremost experts in fossil and nuclear power plant operations and has spearheaded many of McKinsey's research and knowledge development efforts in this area.
Selected examples of Paul's experience includes:
- supporting acquisition strategies for a large European utility, modeled the attractiveness of all North American micro-market regions, and performed plant valuation on example portfolios within the most attractive regions
- conducting a global benchmarking and practice review for a large African utility with over 50GW of capacity
- evaluating a country-wide dispatch and power plant optimization for a Latin American client, creating a national strategy for thermal efficiency and examining implications for end-user rates and capacity additions
- leading end-to-end lean and performance improvement programs at generation facilities ranging from 60MW to 3,600 MW across coal, gas, nuclear fuels and renewables. Programs featured full participation of plant staffs, significant idea generation and brainstorming activities, and evaluation of high potential ideas. Completed involvement by initiating detailed work plans and deadlines to ensure implementation of ideas, and communication of result to executives
- creating an organizational structure and performance management system for major global wind operator, featuring owner and vendor alliances and service level standards
- conducting due diligence and thorough review of major wind turbine manufacturer for potential acquisition, including forecasting of wind development in the US and EU, assessing core competencies and technical performance along the value chain functions and linking pricing with global supply and demand fundamentals for sub-components.
Prior to joining McKinsey, Paul was a consultant with UMS Group, Inc.