Mike is an expert principal and a leader of the firm’s product-development work, focusing primarily on complex industrial products as well as aerospace and defense.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- helping to shape and lead a major aerospace direct-material cost-reduction effort, which over a 1-year period identified and executed on multiple billions of dollars in cost-reduction projects
- leading multiple operations transformations at aerospace tier 1 manufacturers, driving sustainable improvements to productivity, on-time delivery, and first-pass quality
- developing a new program supply-chain-management process at an aircraft manufacturer, driving visibility, control, and eventual program schedule recovery to enable a successful launch and production ramp-up of a new airplane
- conducting design-to-value programs for aerospace, telecommunications-equipment, consumer-goods, and white-goods manufacturers, driving on average 15 percent product cost reduction
- leading qualification process-improvement programs to reduce new product certification and qualification time and effort on multiple aerospace and consumer-package-goods products, leading to calendar time reductions of more than 20 percent
- designing a flight-test-optimization program for a business-jet manufacturer, leading to a significant test-hour-per-day increase and shortened program duration
Prior to joining McKinsey, Mike has held roles involving manufacturing engineering, manufacturing strategy, new product introduction, and existing product improvements (such as value engineering), in the United States and Europe. Additionally, Mike has experience in operations, procurement, and product development.