The true gen AI talent pool

The pool of generative AI (gen AI) talent within organizations is likely bigger than expected, note senior partner Aaron De Smet and coauthors. As many as 88 percent of respondents in our survey who were already using gen AI, often for repetitive tasks, had nontechnical jobs. And of the remaining 12 percent of gen AI users who had tech-heavy roles, only 2 percent worked in gen AI–adjacent jobs. Organizations that better understand how their employees are harnessing gen AI will be able to more appropriately link up talent to jobs.

Many more workers with nontechnical jobs than those who hold traditionally technical roles use generative AI as part of their work.

Image description:

A circle made up of 100 different silhouettes of individuals represents 100% of the 9,684 respondents to the McKinsey Talent Trends Survey. The survey of employees in Canada, the UK, and the US who use generative AI (gen AI) at work was conducted from July 28, 2023, to Aug 15, 2023.

The 2 colors of the silhouettes show that 88% of gen AI use is by employees with nontechnical jobs (for example, administrators, customer care workers, and salespeople). Only 12% of gen AI use is by employees with technical jobs (for example, developers, IT workers, and software engineers). Only 2% of gen AI use is by employees with technical, gen-AI-adjacent jobs (for example, data analysts, machine learning specialists, and researchers).

End of image description.

To read the article, see “The human side of generative AI: Creating a path to productivity,” March 18, 2024.