We are a values-driven organization. Our values reflect the thinking of our founder, James O. McKinsey, and Marvin Bower, managing director from 1950 to 1967, who was a major force in shaping the firm. Our values have been updated in small ways to reflect the changing times. They inform both our long-term strategy as a firm and the way we serve our clients on a daily basis. We put aside one day a year to reflect as a group on what our values mean to both our work and our lives.
To help create positive, enduring change in the world.
To help our clients make distinctive, lasting, and substantial improvements in their performance and to build a great firm that attracts, develops, excites, and retains exceptional people.
Adhere to the highest professional standards
- put client interests ahead of our firm’s
- maintain high standards and conditions for client service
- observe high ethical standards
- preserve client confidences
- maintain an independent perspective
- manage client and firm resources cost-effectively
Improve our clients’ performance significantly
- follow the top-management approach
- pursue holistic impact
- use our global network to deliver the best of our firm to all clients
- bring innovations in management practice to clients
- build client capabilities to sustain improvement
- build enduring relationships based on trust
Create an unrivaled environment for exceptional people
- be nonhierarchical and inclusive
- sustain a caring meritocracy
- develop one another through apprenticeship and mentoring
- uphold the obligations to engage and dissent
- embrace diverse perspectives with curiosity and respect
- govern ourselves as a “one firm” partnership