Roberto is a partner based in McKinsey’s Vancouver office. He leads our work in the global energy and materials sector, serving clients in the metals and mining, pulp and paper, and chemicals and power industries on issues related to strategy, safe and reliable operations, digital and advanced analytics, and community engagement. Examples of Roberto’s recent client experience include the following:
- assessing a North American metal company’s overall strategic and business planning, evaluating the strategic, operational, social, financial, and environmental decisions that drive the company’s investments to ensure continuity of operations, maximize the value of the asset, and adapt to major changes in the industry, such as environmental, social, and governance (ESG), social strategy, and community engagement
- supporting a North American power utility through an end-to-end transformation that included developing its energy transition strategy from coal to renewables and applying advanced analytics to improve operations. The company is now transitioning to wind, gas, and renewable energy by reinvesting the productivity gains it achieved during the transformation
- leading an end-to-end supply chain transformation for a North American aluminum producer, driving the implementation of a major supply chain system, including applying advanced analytics to end-to-end planning. As a result, the company achieved record lead time and decreased work-in-process inventory by approximately 30 percent
- working with a major global mining company on a digital transformation by designing, developing, and implementing technology-enabled initiatives in the mining value chain, achieving record mining productivity, and building a digital organization to sustain and drive value in the future. The effort also included developing community engagement strategies and improving supplier relations with local indigenous communities by using digital tools to increase transparency and productivity in the procurement process
- supporting a large North American metals and mining company through a major operations transformation, identifying and implementing initiatives, and creating advanced analytics use cases across the mining value chain focused on productivity and cost reduction, which resulted in ten to 15 percent productivity improvements
Before joining McKinsey, Roberto worked as a design engineer in the automotive and aerospace industries, conducting both quantitative and qualitative analyses related to cost reduction, six sigma, process improvements, and lean manufacturing.