Oliver coleads McKinsey’s M&A work globally. In this capacity, he advises CEOs and other executives on transactions of all types and on the large-scale integrations and transformations that follow. He also helps guide the firm’s thinking on value creation and capture, cultural and organizational compatibility, and merger-integration capability building.
Since joining McKinsey, Oliver has worked with top executives in all sectors, pursuing strategic growth and operational performance. He has developed deep expertise in helping pharmaceutical and medical-device companies pursue performance improvement against a backdrop of intense competitive pressure. He extends this strategic and operational expertise to other similarly process-intensive sectors such as basic materials, chemicals, consumer products, energy, high tech, and retail.
Oliver has helped support more than 100 mergers and has directly guided more than 25 large, cross-border integrations since 2010.
Examples of Oliver’s recent client work include the following:
- offering counsel to CEOs and top executives during the pre-announcement merger phase
- leading integration-project-management offices at basic materials, chemicals, generic-pharmaceuticals, heavy equipment, manufacturing, airline, consumer-product, professional services, distribution, and medical-device companies
- directing clean teams during the “announcement to close” phase for merging pharmaceutical, consumer-product, retail, professional services, and healthcare provider companies
- leading value-capture assessment and implementation teams at high-tech, distribution, industrial, large pharmaceutical, and generic-pharmaceutical clients
- assessing and aligning culture, organizational health, and organizational compatibility at merging companies in sectors that include heavy equipment, generic pharmaceutical, professional services, distribution, retail, and consumer products, as well as at academic institutions
- building integration capabilities in advance of deal announcements for merging airline, high-tech, biotech, retail, consumer-product, and healthcare clients
In addition to his consulting work, Oliver serves on the board of directors of EcoHealth Alliance in New York City, a global nonprofit that leads scientific research into the connections between human, wildlife, and environmental health. He is fluent in English and conversant in German.