Matthieu is a partner based in Vietnam, with experience serving consumer-goods and retail companies in Southeast Asia.
Matthieu is one of the key consumer-packaged-goods (CPG) experts in Southeast Asia specialized in promotional analysis (trade promotion and consumer promotions) including in data-poor environment; price and assortment optimization (product launches, regional tailoring, tailoring of assortment by store types, and more).
Beyond consumer goods, Matthieu has experience working for retailers across most continents, especially in Vietnam supporting both excellence in traditional business models (store concept, network strategy and category strategy) and innovation (online and online-to-offline formats and integration with digital ecosystems).
Examples of Matthieu’s recent client work include the following:
- projects in liquor in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Taiwan, and China, with a focus on trade spend return-on-investment optimization, as well as wholesaler identification and segmentation, trade-terms design, and sales-force effectiveness optimization
- soft drinks projects in Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, China, Korea, and the Philippines, defining category strategy on stills, and driving revenue growth management—including work on trade terms in both traditional trade and modern trade
- dairy projects for multiple clients across revenue levers (price, trade spend, assortment, and promotions), multiple geographies including Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines
- modern grocery retailer strategy in Vietnam, including expansion, category management
- design and build disruptive ecosystems for retailers, connecting suppliers, retailers, and consumers through digital platforms to enable storeless and online-to-offline sales
Matthieu is passionate about the emergence of the Asia middle class and works with clients to capture this opportunity in Southeast Asia, where younger, more urban, and more connected consumers are shaping a unique retail and CPG landscape. He has published research on this topic, and engages with both local and international clients to constantly adjust their business model and innovate accordingly.
In addition to his CPG and retail work, Matthieu has served clients in many industries in Vietnam on a range of issues, such as strategy, corporate governance, marketing and sales, and private equity.
Before moving to Vietnam in 2016, Matthieu spent 4 years at McKinsey’s Paris office, supporting projects in Europe and Africa in both consumer goods, retail, and public sector.