Working at the intersection of energy and natural resources, logistics and shipping, and finance, Matt helps companies navigate the energy transition and climate risk, and embed purpose and ESG across their business.
He leads our Shipping Decarbonization service line, including co-leading our knowledge partnership with the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping.
Matt also works extensively with CFOs across their agenda, including ESG investor relations, resource allocation, and working capital management. He convenes McKinsey's annual CFO Forum, a gathering of more than 100 CFOs from leading institutions.
Examples of Matt's recent client work include:
- designing the green hydrogen and decarbonization strategies for a number of asset-intensive companies
- assessing and quantifying the value-at-stake from ESG risks and opportunities across more than 15 countries for a top oil and gas company
- designing the integrated fiscal management approach for the government of a resource-intensive economy
- driving a multi-continent working-capital transformation program at a top mining company that resulted in over $2 billion in cash release
- orchestrating the defense against a hostile takeover for an advanced manufacturing company
- calibrating a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model to forecast trade flows over the next 25 years for a logistics company
During 2013 and 2014, Matt was the Ian Davis Fellow at the McKinsey Global Institute—our business and economics think tank—where he co-authored reports on the Indian and European economies. He is a 2007 Marshall Scholar.