Jochen has been the managing partner of our office in Kazakhstan since 2017. Before relocating to Kazakhstan, he worked in our offices in Central Europe, Germany, and Russia.
Since the start of his career in McKinsey in 1997, Jochen has focused on clients in the firm’s Financial Services, Metals & Mining (including, steel, coal non-ferrous metals, and fertilizers), and Public Sector Practices as well as clients in other sectors important to the Kazakhstani economy.
Examples of his recent work include the following:
- developing a holistic strategy for a large universal bank, covering all business and functional areas, leading to a clearly defined portfolio of initiatives and an implementation roadmap linked to financial targets
- implementing an agile organizational model, based on modular end-to-end responsible cross-functional teams, to accelerate time to market, increase customer and employee satisfaction, and assure fast adjustment to external strategic factors
- designing and implementing a holistic transformation program for a leading integrated steel producer in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), optimizing production and maintenance processes while also establishing enablers, such as streamlined organization and an empowering culture
- debottlenecking an underground mine and beneficiation plant for a top-five global fertilizer producer
- outlining the capital-projects development strategy for a CIS multiasset mining company, assuring maximum contribution to valuation
- developing a foreign direct-investment strategy, assessing relative competitive advantage of the client country, and prioritizing attractive key sectors and projects for foreign investors
While leading strategy, performance management, and organizational development for Sberbank Group, the largest bank in Russia and Eastern Europe, Jochen was a board member on several daughter companies.
A native German, Jochen is fluent in English and Russian and proficient in French.