Hans leads our work in enterprise risk management in North America. Hans extensive experience advising financial institutions on risk management challenges, including risks arising from credit, market, insurance, and operational sources.
Working in partnership with leaders at major banks and brokerage houses, Hans leads comprehensive capital reviews and stress tests, offering guidance in creating predictive models, setting capital plans and policies, establishing documentation, and putting governance approaches in place for facing uncertainty. Hans focuses on helping executives take a more proactive stance, developing risk management capabilities that improve business decisions.
Examples of his work include:
- implementing a new enterprise risk management policy and limit-setting framework for a major US discount brokerage firm
- helping a foreign-owned US bank roll out a new stress testing program covering credit losses, investment portfolio losses, earnings, and operational risk
- performing a comprehensive review of enterprise risk management at a North American bank, including developing specific action plans for improvement
- helping to streamline capital analysis and stress testing processes at a top five US bank by identifying efficiency improvements
- developing stronger frameworks for risk tolerance at a major North American bank
- building customized commercial and consumer-credit scoring models for several US and European banks
Hans draws on deep experience as an in-house risk manager. He joined McKinsey from Union Bank in 2012, where he oversaw credit portfolio risk analysis. He began his professional career in Oliver Wyman's risk practice, focusing on risk consulting for financial institutions. Hans is fluent in seven languages, and he is a frequent speaker at risk conferences.