George leads McKinsey’s work in the Oil & Gas Practice, serving oil and gas companies—as well as those in the broader energy-and-materials market—on diverse issues within strategy and operations. He restarted with McKinsey in 2019 as a senior partner in Tokyo after taking some time away from the firm to serve as a minister in a national government.
Before that, George spent 18 years with McKinsey, mostly working out of our Moscow office and serving large state-owned and private companies in Russia, as well as international companies in the oil and gas, energy, and other natural-resources sectors to help them drive business transformations, build new strategies, and improve organizational effectiveness.
Examples of George’s recent client work include the following:
- developing an operating model to execute the digitization strategy of a large, upstream oil and gas company
- creating a gas strategy in Asia for a large, international oil company
- structuring and supporting the implementation of a large oil refiner’s comprehensive transformation
- creating and implementing a large fuel-retail network’s cost- and revenue-optimization program, leveraging digital technologies.
- forming an energy-sector strategy for the government of a country in the Commonwealth of Independent States
- developing a regulatory framework for oil-product wholesale and trade, retail networking, and pricing
- creating an Asia gas strategy for a large, international oil company
- forming an energy-sector strategy for the government of a large Commonwealth of Independent States country
Besides having experience in global energy and materials, George also has expertise in the public sector and leverages his experience from working with national governments.