Chau leads McKinsey’s growth by design work in Asia–Pacific and advises clients on topics across physical and digital product design and development, service design, spatial and immersive digital experiences, design capability building, and corporate venture building across industry sectors.
He is passionate about elevating the human experience by designing how people interact with the world and with each other. Chau has 25 years of experience creating human-centered design solutions to solve business challenges and building opportunities with applied sciences and technologies.
Chau works with business, technology, and design teams to translate evidence-based design research into viable products, services and customer experiences. He also leads the firm’s work on augmented reality and virtual reality technologies for Industry 4.0 applications, as well as building metaverse ventures and consumer experiences.
Examples of Chau’s recent work include the following:
- devising a metaverse strategy for city-scale immersive experiences
- developing a metaverse fan experience and engagement strategy with engage-to-earn concepts for a leading sports club
- assisting an energy and mining client build a new electric motorbike business, including business venture design and end-to-end omnichannel customer experience
- working with government agencies to scale design capabilities across more than 200 organizations including small- and medium-sized enterprises and multinationals
- enhancing the physical and process design of a COVID-19 test lab that improved throughput by 400 percent, increased efficiencies in operator deployment, and reduced overall costs
- working with multiple Japanese medical-technology companies and start-ups to design and develop products for emerging markets
- supporting an industrial client with product design and design-to-value analysis of commercial capital equipment to build a new business with a ten-year product portfolio
- developing an advanced remote-operations command center for a mining client with augmented reality technology to elevate operator effectiveness
Prior to joining McKinsey, Chau was a Chief Designer and a studio lead of one of Australia’s leading design consultancies.