Back to Careers Blog

New ways of working at McKinsey Implementation

Fiona’s first part-time engagement.

Read more about: Community | Supply Chain

Fiona, an implementation leader from Melbourne, recently shared in this email to her Australian colleagues why she loved spending part of her time on an engagement and part on internal McKinsey activities:

Hello colleagues,

I want to share my experiences working part–time on an engagement to encourage you to consider this working model for your client teams.

I recently wrapped up an eight-week long engagement during which our team worked 60% at the client, spending the remaining 40% of our working week on other firm activities. Our oil and gas client was looking to design and implement a new operating model, including a shared services model for corporate functions. Each week we spent three days at the client site (typically Tuesday–Thursday).

Working part time at the client site is a relatively new model of client service within the firm. I was excited to try it so I could do two things I love at the same time: deliver for my client and build knowledge and expertise for myself and McKinsey. As added bonus: I spent an extra night at home with my partner and avoided the “Sunday Blues” by flying out on Tuesday mornings.

The best part about this structure, however, was that it helped us make a bigger difference for our client. Several of our clients worked on part-time models, remotely, and/or on flexible schedules. Spending three days on-site with them enabled us to create change at a sustainable pace and forced us all to be more thoughtful about how we used our time together. Meetings were focused and productive. Our clients were happier, and so were we.

Personally, this was a great opportunity. I was part of something new at the firm, I made a real difference for my clients, and I developed new knowledge I presented to firm experts a few weeks ago. Focusing on clients and knowledge has helped propel my career here.

About Fiona

Fiona has a background in human resources and change management being part of complex business transformation initiatives. Her previous industry experience extends across the oil and resources, energy, financial services, retail, telecommunications, public sector and health industries. Prior to joining the firm, Fiona worked on the client side of a McKinsey engagement, so she has a valuable “outside in” perspective. In her free time you can find her spending time at the beach or on the ski slopes (in this photo she is enjoying the snow at Deer Valley, Utah).

Fiona Inline
We strive to provide individuals with disabilities equal access to our website. If you would like information about this content we will be happy to work with you. Please email us at:

If you are interested in joining a flexible team like hers in McKinsey Implementation please click here.