Thomas focuses on operations and regulation topics mainly in the transportation and the infrastructure industry. Thomas is a core member of our worldwide infrastructure practice leadership group. He built and led our infrastructure and transportation practice in India over the course of five years in our India office.
Thomas has built significant expertise in these sectors, developing the “House of Operations” in the postal industry, creating a network integration implementation manual, and driving our understanding of regulatory management in logistics.
Some of Thomas's recent work with clients includes:
- Railways: analyzing infrastructure needs in Asia for large railway companies, capital productivity improvement for a large European railroad, and procurement plans for a billion euros in rolling stock at another European player
- Infrastructure: transportation development plan for one of India's major cities, including business plan, operating model and procurement strategy, due diligence in connection with different infrastructure businesses e.g., thermal power, wind, and ports, market entry plans for a diversified infrastructure business, and infrastructure industry strategy for two Indian family businesses
- Postal: Regulatory strategy for Europe's leading postal service provider and one of Asia's leading postal service companies, and a new parcel production system (from collection to delivery) to improve capacity, quality as well as cost efficiency in order to benefit from increasing e-commerce volume
- Logistics: network reconfiguration options for a major European logistic service company, and the operational concept for an international post company entering a two billion euro logistic market
- Airports: Identification of growth levers to double the cargo business of one of India's largest airports, privatization process of an Indian Metro airport, outsourcing strategy for ground operations at an Indian airport operator, and capital productivity diagnostic and performance management system (war room) for Indian airport developers
- Market entry strategy for a turnkey captive power solution business in India
Thomas graduated from the University of Cologne (with a year at University of St. Gallen), with an undergraduate degree in business administration (top 3% of the class), and returned to the University of Cologne for graduate school, receiving a PhD in business, summa cum laude.
University of Cologne
PhD in business
University of Cologne
Diplom, business administration